In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fairfield like this:
FAIRFIELD, a manor in Belbroughton parish, Worcester; 3¼ miles N of Bromsgrove. It forms a curacy with Belbroughton; and has a post office under Bromsgrove.
John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887) described Fairfield as a “hamlet with school”.
Pictorial History of Fairfield, Wildmoor & Stoneybridge
To view images of Fairfield past CLICK HERE
Did you know…
In 1840 the land where Pepperwood Close is was once owned by the Masters and Fellows of St. John’s College Oxford University, and the field, which was classified as arable, was known as The Breechings and was rented out to a Mr. John Leek.
A past owner of Pepper Wood was John Talbot, 16th Earl of Shrewsbury.
Well known for her association with Coventry, according to legend on the10th July in 1040 Lady Godiva rode naked on horseback through Coventry on Market Day to lower the taxes that her husband imposed on his tenants. But did you also know that Lady Godiva’s husband, Leofric, Earl of Mercia, was Lord of the Manor of Fairfield.
The former Church Hall built in 1926, rebuilt as the Village Hall in 1979, was used by the Fairfield Platoon of the 2nd Worcestershire (Bromsgrove) Battalion Home Guard as their Headquarters during WWII and was also requisitioned for use as a first aid point.
According to the Defence of Britain report, there was a sandbagged Home Guard Observation Post on a low hill north of Fairfield, constructed sometime between 1940 and 1941. The site of the observation point is thought to have been adjacent to public footpath, at grid reference SO 9482 7586, which is land behind Orchard Farm. Although there is no sign of the position today it is possible to predict its location since it gives good views north and particularly of the main road junction. The sandbags suggest it may also have been a weapons position.
Fairfield First School 100th Birthday
In 1975 the community celebrated the village school’s 100th birthday, with a parade from the old Church Hall, some speeches, dancing and some traditional village games.
Tramp’s Supper of Fish & Chips
In the mid 1970’s, the community gathered at the old Church Hall for a Tramp’s Supper of Fish & Chips.
When The Community Visited The Nailer’s Arms
Date of meal unknown, thought to be around 1975