FAIRFIELD NEWS IN BRIEF – 1953
(Based on Bromsgrove Messenger Reports)
1953 was the year of our Queen’s Coronation on 2nd June. Like towns and villages throughout the land, Fairfield set up its own Coronation Committee – chairman
Mr W Fox, secretary Miss Bishop and treasurer Mr Wilkes. Various events were organised to raise funds for the Big Day. Mr R Evans acted as MC at a Social and Dance, the new Drama Group put on its first full length production “The Happy Prisoner”, and whist drives were also held.
Coronation Day at Fairfield began with a short service conducted jointly by Mr Savill and Mr WH Bedford, followed by a Ladies fancy dress football match, a cold meal in the Church Hall for older residents, a fancy dress parade and decorated bicycles. Children had a tea and were given souvenir mugs. Sports took place until rain sent the revellers back into the Church Hall; at this point it was decided to postpone the bonfire. Tea and sandwiches were served to all and the children had ice cream, lemonade and oranges. On the following Saturday evening, Mr Fox lit a huge bonfire on the Rec and the evening ended with the singing of “God Save the Queen”.
Wildmoor also had a “Field Day”. A marquee on loan from Bromsgrove Rovers Football Club was erected in Mr F Wood’s field by Money Lane crossroads. There was a fancy dress competition and a tea. Children i=under 5 were given a crown youngsters received a mug and 35 elderly people received a perpetual calendar. Mrs Hingley was thanked for her energetic work in organising this event.
Fairfield Ladies Committee bore the expense of laying mains wate to St Mark’s Churchyard to commemorate the Coronation. Two Almond trees were planted on either side of the War Memorial by Mrs Wilson of Castlebourn and Mrs Eades of The Brook, on behalf of the WI (What became of these Almond trees? They must have looked really pretty).
The Coronation Committee decided that a clock costing £10 be put in the wall of the Church where all could see it. A guinea would be sent to the Westminster Abbey Fund and any remaining funds used to provide swings for the children on the Rec. Letters of thanks had been received from those locals who had been in hospital on Coronation Day and had been sent flowers.
Miss Bishop had organised 3 coach loads from the school to London to see the decorations. The highlights had been a close view of the Queen and Prince Philip, the changing of the Guard and a visit to the Zoo.
(provided by Margaret Must)
Sadly, the clock face has parted company with the Church wall and is no longer of any benefit to villagers. It would be good to restore it to commemorate the Coronation in May of King Charles III.