There has been a recent increase in the theft of catalytic converters from vehicles in West Mercia. This is due to a rise in the value of the precious metals they contain.
PC Dale Tomkins said: “Thieves tend to target vehicles such as vans and 4x4s that have a higher ground clearance making the converters more easily accessible. However, all types of vehicles are vulnerable.
help us tackle this crime by taking steps to reduce the chances of your vehicle
“We need to know about any suspicious activity around parked vehicles. Please contact us on 101 with any information about what is happening in your area.”
Tips on how to protect your vehicle:
• Keep your vehicle in a garage if you can
• If you park it on a driveway, install motion activated lighting
• Otherwise, park in a well-lit, populated area
• Forensic security marking kits are available to mark your catalytic converter
• Locks are also available that can be fitted to your converter
• Use high visibility signage to deter thieves
For crimes in progress call 999. For non-emergencies report online at www.westmercia.police.uk/report