Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Fairfield Information

The Parish Ward

The village of Fairfield and the hamlets of Stoneybridge & Wildmoor form the Fairfield Ward, part of Belbroughton and Fairfield Parish which is in Bromsgrove District, Worcestershire.

According to the 2011 census the population of the ward was 942.

The village has a Post Office, Café, hair & beauty salon, village hall, primary school, pub (The Swan) and a Church (St. Mark’s CofE). Another pub can be found in Wildmoor, The Wildmoor Oak.

At the village’s Recreation Ground there is a childrens play areas, the millennium garden and the club house for Fairfield Villa Football Club.

To the west of the village is Pepperwood, a semi-ancient wood managed by the Woodland Trust.

Fairfield Church Hall

In 1979 the old wooden Church Hall was knocked down and replaced by the Village Hall that stands today.

Back in August/September 1926 there was no Church Hall, with Village activities taking place at Fairfield School. A Church Hall “Building” committee, consisting of Trustees and local residents had been formed, and they held their meetings at the School; coordinating fund raising activities, studying building plans & commissioning a contractor to erect the building. By the end of 1926 the Church Hall had been built and formally opened.

Opening Ceremony of St. Mark’s Church Hall

The hall was formally opened on Saturday December 11th 1926 by Lady Georgina Vernon, who was supported on the platform by the Rector (the Rev. Douglas Alner Townsend), Mrs. Townsend, Messrs. W. H. Matty (Hon. Treasurer and Trustee), J. T. G. Davis (Trustee), H. S. Stevens & F. Handley (Churchwardens), J. B. Nickols (Hon. Secretary), W. S. Webb, Mrs. W. Shakespeare Webb & Mrs. W. H. Matty.

Having briefly introduced Lady Georgina Vernon, the Rector asked her to formally Open the Hall, and she proceeded to the door on the west side (veranda door), and with a silver key presented to her by the Contractor (Mr. Grosvenor Workman of Birmingham) unlocked the door, and declared the Hall open.

Speeches from the Rector and several other persons followed, and a full report of the opening ceremony appeared the “County Express” &“Bromsgrove Messenger”.

Upwards of 300 persons were present for the opening ceremony, the hall was filled to the utmost capacity. Many people had to stand as there was insufficient seating.

By hospitality of Mr. Matty the audience were served with tea, and a collection was taken for the Hall funds, which amounted to £10 10s 6d.

A concert followed the opening ceremony at 7pm, when the hall was again filled to capacity. Dancing was kept up to 11pm, and the day proceedings then terminated. Everyone being pleased with their achievements and confident of the Hall’s future success.

Fairfield Bromsgrove

Fairfield Emblem

In October 2014, as part of the 35th anniversary celebration to give thanks for the Village Hall, the children of the village and pupils that attended Fairfield First School were asked to design an emblem for Fairfield that could be adopted by village institutions.

The winning entry was drawn by William, aged 6 yrs.

The judges, Mary Fairbain, Carol Brogan & Conrad Palmer, reported that “all the children that entered the competition were very creative and the judges were pleased with all of the entries. It was very difficult to chose the winning design.”